- He didn't steal your watch (err… who did, then?)
- He didn't steal your watch (ok, ok,… calm down, I believe you!)
- He didn't steal your watch (did he hide it, or what?)
- He didn't steal your watch (so who did he rob, then?)
- He didn't steal your watch (oh, no… what did he nick, then?)
It’s only words; and words are all I have
26-May-2017 Matthew Pattinson 0 comments
Those prolific singer/songwriters, The Bee Gees sang the immortal lines: ‘…It’s only words; and words are all I have….’ Wow. Those guys sure knew how to write.
They hit the nail right on the proverbial head when they hammered home that message back in the seventies. Chest hair, flares and medallions may have had their day but ‘words’ are as powerful now as they ever were. They have to be the right words, of course.
Back in the day if you got it wrong it wasn't good. Say the wrong thing and word may have got around. Write the wrong thing and your letter/article might have got passed around. Not good. But at least the damage was limited. Make those same mistakes now and it’s a whole new ball game. With email, the web and social media, the whole world and its dog could potentially know…
It’s not what you say …
It’s definitely the way that you say it. In a business meeting or phone call it’s second nature to tailor your voice to get the message across in the way that you want. If you’re misunderstood, you have the chance to put things right, there and then.
It’s different with writing. We all know that punctuation and spelling are crucial - but what about that all-important tone of voice? You know what you mean, but does your client? Take a look at the following statement:
He didn't steal your watch
Yes, ok, he didn't steal the watch, right? Look again:
One short sentence: five different meanings. A few bold italics: a whole world of difference.
Like what you read? Please share our content
- Websites which help you find shareable blog posts
- Five Google Chrome extensions social media managers can’t live without
- It’s only words; and words are all I have
- The ultimate social media image size guide
- BUSINESS PARTNERSHIPS: REM GUIDE TO MAKING IT WORK
- THE DARK SIDE OF THE SOCIAL MEDIA FORCE
- Organic search engine optimisation versus AdWords
- 10 stock photos that make no sense whatsoever
- Top 5 films about writer’s block
- CONTENT MARKETING TIPS: SLEEP WITH YOUR CUSTOMERS
Tags Cloudgraphic design proofing social media Technology wearable tech Facebook digital marketing Google brand browser web design 50 Shades of Grey VR phone print work Stock imagery Writing tips Blog Music branding-business tips-content marketing Twitter Film Email marketing trends content strategy Copywriter AOL marketing, speed networking content AdWords Business partnerships ALLpaQ Halloween social media marketing Feedly REM SEO PC content marketing taglines augmented reality Pay per click management Movies marketing dark social virtual reality business tips desktop mobile website mobile blogger writer's block
© 2014 The Content Marketing Agency Limited